– The artist painted a Biblical passage about peace, not just between humans but with the wild animals as well. Hicks made over 60 versions of the painting – he clearly wanted the message to get through!
– Hicks was able to create this, his most recognizable work of art, despite his lack of formal training. The image represented his religious beliefs
Stag at Sharkeys
– This painting takes you to a time when public prizefighting was still illegal. People had to go to great lengths to arrange a match. Participation in the ring was limited to club members and non-members (known as stags) were given temporary memberships.
– The painting is one of the best examples of works that came out of the Ashcan school movement. The artists in this movement avoided painting beautiful landscapes in favor of a gritty and realistic portrayal of the urban slums.
The Grass Fire
-This painting was one of nine nocturnes that were successfully exhibited at the Knoedler Galleries in New York in 1908. Critics took note at Remington’s skillful use of color to depict firelight and moonlight.
– Depicted in this painting is a real technique used by Native Americans. They burned grass for the purpose of warfare and ecology. They used this technique in warfare so that fire would travel to their enemy’s camp. The smoke was used to camouflage themselves and confuse the enemy.
The Old Plantation
– The painting is the best-known surviving 18th century depiction of slavery in America. This could perhaps be one of the few paintings to depict slavery from the perspective of a slave owner.
– It has been widely reproduced and used in hundreds of books and other publications over the past 50 years. It has become one of the standard visual representations of early American slave life and culture.
Washington Crossing the Delaware
– It was painted by Leutze 75 years after the American Revolution in the hopes of inspiring the liberal reformers during the European Revolutions of 1848.
– There were three versions of the painting, not enough to go around for such an important and well-loved piece. The Congress wanted to put a version of the picture in the White House but it was bought by a collector in New York. A copy of the painting is currently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and another copy is at the The Minnesota Marine Art Museum in Winona, Minnesota